What to expect - radon testing
What is Radon?
“Radon exposure is the second-leading cause of lung cancer. Radon is colorless, odorless radioactive gas that exists naturally in the soil. It comes up through the soil and enters buildings through small gaps and cracks.”
-The American Lung Association
- Most buyers are going to do radon testing in addition to their general inspection
How do they test?
- Testing lasts 48 hours – radon inspector comes and drops off a machine (sometimes more than one) and leaves instructions of how to keep your house closed and make the test accurate. You may enter and exit normally through doors but you need to keep all windows closed
- Machine is picked up 2 days later
- The preliminary results are available immediately, the final within hours
- “Actionable” number of 4 – means that the State of Illinois has decided that if the level is 4+ somebody needs to do something about it (if you are selling your home, that is most likely going to be something that the buyers will require)
- Mitigation (radon removal) cost is between $1200 and $1500
We have helped dozens of sellers through this part of the process and would love to help you too.
Call or shoot us a text:
Ruth Sheahan | Ruth@RuthSheahan.com |
Danielle Tully | Daniellemtully@yahoo.com |
Tim Berglind | Tim@RuthSheahan.com |